Wolverines Score Three Unanswered to Win Road Barnburner

Jan 6, 2022

Richfield, Minnesota | 1/5/22 | Isaac Smoldon

The first game of Anchorage’s series against the Minnesota Magicians was an offensive showcase, with 13 goals scored over the 60 minutes of regulation. The Wolverines trailed in the game until late in the 3rd, as their three unanswered goals in the final frame led them to a win on Wednesday night. The team is now off until Saturday, when they will play the Magicians again in their last game of the eight-game road trip to the Lower 48.

Minnesota got out to an early lead in the 1st period recording 4 goals to Anchorage’s 1. Spencer Light, Gavin Best, William Svenddal, and Lucas Kanta all scored goals for the Magicians, who outshot the Wolverines 13-10 in the period. Anchorage’s lone goal came from Talon Sigurdson, who leads the NAHL in goals with 24 tucks on the season.

The Wolverines would make it a close game in the 2nd, scoring two goals before the halfway point of the period. Joey Moffatt and Campbell Cichosz each scored for Anchorage, and the Wolverines outshot the Magicians 19-15. Raythan Robbins was able to stop all 15 shots by the Magicians in the middle frame.

The most hectic period by far was the 3rd, where there were 6 goals scored between the two teams. First, Hunter Longhi scored 2:28 into the frame for Minnesota, to give the team a 5-3 lead. Anchorage responded a minute later with Hunter Schmitz’s fifth of the year to decrease the lead back to one. Cooper Morris picked up his third assist of the night on Schmitz’s goal earning him a playmaker in the contest. The Wilderness regained a two-goal lead when Gavin Best scored just 26 seconds after the Anchorage goal and made the score 6-4. Despite the deficit, Wolverines would come roaring back into the game as the period progressed. The comeback started with Jackson Reineke, who scored just before the midway point of the 3rd to get the Wolverines back within 1. Five minutes later, Danny Reis recorded his second goal of the season to tie the game for the first time since the opening period. To complete the comeback, Aiden Westin potted his 12th of the year, a powerplay goal that gave Anchorage the lead for the first time in the contest with just under two minutes to play. The Wolverines would hold onto their lead all the way through regulation and secured two points in the Midwest Division with the win.

Both teams have two days off before they see each other again. Their next game takes place Saturday at 4PM AKST, again in Minnesota at the Richfield Ice Arena. Saturday’s game is the last game of the Wolverines’ eight-game road trip. Their next home series will be January 21st and 22nd back home at the Ben Boeke Ice Arean at 7PM AKST.